300 Elliott Ave W, Seattle, WA 98119, USA

I was booked on your Holland America Westerdam for a cruise on February 7th through February 14th paying you $3,704 including $258 for your CPP Platinum Cancellation insurance.On January 31, 2017, I had to cancel my booking for my wife and I with Prosperity Bank-Bellaire of Houston Texas through a travel agent in Austin Texas.

He indicated there would be no problem doing this. The reason for the cancelation was that my wife began having trouble with her ears and we visited her Ear doctor who indicated she should not fly in this case from Houston to San Diego where the cruise began on February 7th. I realize this was a bit late but we had no other choice to take but cancel as the doctor said she had to have a lot of tests done as soon as possible and possible surgery would need to be performed as her sinus was badly infected and any delay would and a possible flight would likely damage her ear drums. Today, March 9th, I did receive my refund from Prosperity Bank-Bellaire's Community Club with the indication that I had lost $258 in insurance costs, which I expected, but then a Penalty from Holland America of $491 for canceling, even though I was told that I did not have to provide a statement from the doctor or fill out any forms.

I believe my situation with my wife required me to cancel and I believe your penalty was very excessive because, as I previously indicated, I had no choice but to protect her health and hearing. I have always enjoyed the HA cruises that I have taken, but this big penalty was not really expected with the situation that I did have. I have been on three Holland Americal cruise in recent years - the last in July to Norway with my son and his wife - very enjoyable, and previous cruises to Alaska with six members of my family (which I paid for) and one cruise to Great Britain with my son and his wife.

Since you have charged me such a large amount for my cancellation, I assure you that I will think twice before I cruise with Holland America again.Sincerely, Raymond Leon Ullrich, 5300 Grand Lake St., Bellaire, Texas 77401 and telephone 713-664-4306 and email rlu53@comcast.net.

I didn't like: Cancellation policy.

4.5
Quality of Food
Cleanliness
Reason of Review / Monetary Loss Return, Exchange or Cancellation Policy / $491
Preferred solution Reduced Penalty

Had an Experience with Holland America Line?

Comments

Be the first to start a discussion