2.1
Facilities and Services
Number of Destinations
Quality of Accommodation
Quality of Food

I cruised on the Holland America Veendam. The food was mediocre at best with very small portions.

The so-called filet mignon was thin, overdone and shriveled as was the sad little lobster. Dinner salad entrees were no larger than side salads. Appetizers were no more than two bites. One consisted of two little scallops.

The Rotterdam restaurant, which used to be upscale, now serves the same entrees as the Lido deck casual, serve yourself venue. Desserts were no more than three bites. The restrooms left much to be desired. The corners of the stateroom bathroom had collected hair and dirt.

Two restrooms in the public area had no toilet tissue. One had no hand towels. The gift shop that used to carry local merchandise from daily ports of call is now an Oprah shop that as far as I saw had no shoppers. Most significantly, I ate a bowl of steamed mussels.

Two hours later my stomach cramped. Two hours later I got diarrhea. I asked my husband to go to a shop for Imodium. They had none so he asked the main desk.

They reported it to the ship's doctor who quarantined me. I asked him if I could leave the ship alone (escorted by security, of course) and return to my room and remain there. I had had no problems for several hours. He refused and told me if I left the ship he would not allow me to return as "people could die" from contact with me.

I had no intention of looking at Quebec from my stateroom window. I asked the bursar to find me a hotel and flight home since I was being booted from the ship. He declined.

Here I was, a 70 year old woman, on the pier with no way home. I sat on a park bench and made arrangements but I cannot tell you how I loathe Holland America for such a gross overreaction to food poisoning.

Review about: Holland America Line 7-day Canada And New England Discovery Cruise.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

I liked: Room stewards.

I didn't like: Overreacting doctor, Overreacting doctor and bad fish.

Comments

You're blaming the cruise company for not understanding portion control. Everyone knows that the US has portion sizes that are to large for one person.

You could probably use the smaller portions considering how upset you are that you can not get your dinner super sized. Most of the time, when a passenger on a cruise ship has the runs it is due to poor hygiene, I'm almost certain hand washing was out of the question with you.

to Anonymous #1480740

Did your mom not hug you enough? Why so rude to the OP?