2.6
Facilities and Services
Number of Destinations
Quality of Accommodation
Quality of Food

We have been on two Holland America cruises before. On the last cruise, my husband and I had an argument in the privacy of our cabin and I, unfortunately, had verbally threatened to jump off the balcony of our ship.

He called the doctor who was very uncaring and rude to us. We finished out the rest of the cruise without a hitch.

Unbeknownst to us, we were placed on Holland America's "Do NOT book List", which we understand from a liability standpoint. But here's our complaint: We were never informed of this, never received any letter stating this, no communication from HAL at all for two years. So, two weeks ago, we booked another cruise through a third party.

They said there was some kind of discrepancy I could only talk to a Holland America manager about. I called nearly every day for TWO WEEKS without a return call from a manager.

Still today, I have not spoken with a manager. But, I was finally informed of the "discrepancy" which is that we were placed on the "do not book list". However, because we were unaware, I already booked nonrefundable hotels.

I spent a lot of time preparing for this trip. My husband spoke with a HAL manager yesterday who said we would be reimbursed for the hotels. But what an incredible waste of time. We could have avoided all of this if they had simply sent a letter telling us we were on the do not book list.

Or, if they would have prevented us from booking. Well, we are not losing any sleep over never stepping aboard another HAL ship anyway, because the food was unpalatable and we were disappointed overall with the past cruise.

We only attempted to book again because it was such a good deal. It's a blessing in disguise that they won't be getting our business again.

Review about: Holland America Line Customer Care.

I liked: Waitstaff and room attendant were very courteous and kind.

I didn't like: Really poor customer service.

Comments

I agree with their strategy of not informing "do not book" people. Avoids confrontation.