I have contacted Holland America but have yet to receive a response.A 7 day cruise on the Veendam was enjoyable until the fifth evening when I ate a bowl of steamed mussels.

Two hours later my stomach cramped. Two hours after that diarrhea started. My husband asked the shops and bursar for Imodium. The bursar called the ship's doctor and the nurse gave me Imodium.

By 1:00am I felt better. The next morning the doctor phoned our room and quarantined me without ever seeing or examining me. He said "people could die" from being around me. There was no viral outbreak on the ship.

Holland America clearly has no firm medical policies. On a previous cruise where a widespread virus occurred the ship's doctor examined me and determined that while I felt better I could not tour Edinburgh with a group. She permitted me to go alone after the group left. I said this to the Veendam doctor and he refused to examine me much less let me leave the ship alone.

Because of these inconsistent policies, I left the ship. I was not allowed back on board. Here I was, a 70 year old woman with no luggage, no hotel, and no way back to Washington, DC, with my husband on the ship.

I sat on a park bench and found a hotel and flight.Had I not had my cell phone and credit card I do not know what would have become of me.

Review about: Holland America Line Customer Care.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

Had an Experience with Holland America Line?

Comments