My husband and I had paid for a 7 day cruise aboard Holland America Cruise Lines on the ship Rydam.

Two week before the cruise my husband fell and broke his leg (femur bone). It was a very terrible break and he spend 5 days in the hospital followed by 5 days in rehab. Our surgeon wrote a letter to Holland America explaining the break. We had not bought the cruise insurance, mainly because of the $700.00 cost. They would not refund ANY of our money paid nor give us any credit on another cruise.

I feel sure they were able to resell this cruise.

Review about: Holland America Line Cruise.

Had an Experience with Holland America Line?

Comments

I know this is a pretty old posting, but I just wanted to reply as current guest of HAL and still proudly sailing with them, I always get the cruise protection for exactly the reason you mentioned.If you actually took the time to read the contract, you would see in it that is has the refund policy stated.

That is why anytime I buy something that has a contract, I always read it from beginning to end to understand what I am getting into. Maybe you should start doing that as well? They offer the protection for a reason. It's not to make more money off us, it's to protect us in case we need to cancel, even for medical reasons.

Next time if you go on any cruise line and they tell you it's a non-refundable fare, do yourself a favor and buy the protection. It'll save you a lot in the long run.

PS: $700 for their protection is not bad for what they provide in their coverage. 1.

90% refund in the case of cancellation FOR ANY REASON! notice I put that in caps. So even if it's medical, it's still not a 100%, but it's better then 0%. 2.

Medical while on board for coverage of up to $10,000 per person. 3. Emergency evacuation of up to $50,000 per person in the case of serious illness or injury. 4.

Trip interruption and delay, etc etc. I think you get my point.

Don't complain when you're too cheap to pay for something that would have covered you.Good luck on your next cruise and buy the protection next time!